New England Blogs

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Northeast Kingdom of Vermont Fall Foliage 2021 Day 2

 Day 2 was more of the same as day one weather wise. We started our day and headed out around 6:45 AM. We knew there would not be a sunrise shoot, as it was forecasted for clouds, fog, and showers.

Our first stop of the morning was to check out the foliage conditions at Bald Hill Pond in Newark. This whole morning was more or less a scouting trip because of the weather conditions. As expected, Bald Hill Pond was socked in with fog, there were very little reflections in the water, but the good news was the rain briefly stopped for the time we were there.




You couldn't even see the top of the mountain, but I used my telephoto lens and shot this scene of the hillside. I liked the way the fog was dancing around.


From here, we went up the road to Job's Pond, but there was so much fog we couldn't even see across the pond, and by this time it was raining again, so we never got out of the car and just kept going. We revisited this pond another day and photos from here will be shared on another post.

Our next stop was to Island Pond. I wanted to scout a road that I saw on the map to try to photograph the three steepled churches and the village. I think this road might be good spot to shoot from on a nice day with no winds. I believe there could be a decent reflection shot from this location. This is all I got on this day using the telephoto lens,  but will return to this spot on my next trip up North,


From here, we headed towards Morgan on Rte 114. We stopped at the railroad trestle in Island Pond which runs over the Pherrins River. We got lucky as the rain let up for this stop as well as our next stop.



There are some wetland/swampy areas along Rte 114 that I knew would be beautiful with the peak fall colors. I tried to keep my sky out of the shots, as it had no detail.


If you use your imagination, you may see what I saw in the shape of the water here. It reminded me of a heart. I took that as a good sign. :-)


Beautiful peak fall colors on the hillsides. It doesn't get much better than this!


And then it began to rain again. This time the rain was heavier and steadier. We decided to head back to the house for the rest of the day. We relaxed and enjoyed good company with good friends.

Day 3 will be featured next. And by now, you may not be surprised by the way it started. :-)

4 comments:

  1. These images really stretched your knowledge of photography. I really like them, especially the ones with fog. You used the fog to allow the colors to reveal themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Muffy, I really appreciate it. I do love fog but this was a bit too much. There was fog every single morning and some days it didn't lift until 11 AM.

      Delete
  2. Carol, your photographs are gorgeous. This year's color is spectacular!

    Peggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peggie. The color in The Northeast Kingdom was spectacular. It wasn't as good in Southern VT because they never got the cold temperatures like the North did.

      Delete