New England Blogs

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Marshfield Pond, Noyes Pond and more Vermont Fall Foliage day 5

 Day 5 of the Vermont trip was the morning I **REALLY** wanted to have some fog. Our first stop of the day was to photograph Marshfield Pond (aka Turtleneck Pond) in Marshfield VT. I photographed at this location one Fall morning a few years ago and got some of my all time favorite VT shots that morning. I knew we needed to arrive here early. Well before sunrise, so we left the house around 5:30 AM. This pond doesn't have much space for photographers to get the good shots.  When we arrived on site, there were at least twenty plus photographers already lined up with their tripods in place. I may have made a mistake when I wrote in the e-book to arrive at this spot well before sunrise. :-) I know that at least one of the photographers there had the e-book because he recognized me and introduces himself. The e-book by the way is titled Photographing Vermont's Foliage: Where to Find  the Iconic Shots. Volume 2 written by me good friend and fellow photographer Andy Richards and myself. The e-book is available on Amazon.com.

Here are a few shots from this location. We got about 30 seconds of a pink sky and reflection in the water as the sun rose, and quickly after that the clouds took over.


I used the telephoto lens to zoom into the center of the above photo to get the details of the beautiful colors, fog, and reflections.


Our next stop of the morning was to photograph Noyes Pond in Groton. This is another of my favorite spots to photograph.
This first image I heard the geese honking in the distance and was happy to have my tripod set up in the right spot to catch them as they flew over the pond.


After about 25 minutes at this location the sky began to clear. Alleluia :-)





From here we made a stop to Ricker Pond, but the clouds came back. However, this was the last of the clouds for the day!



We headed back towards home after this and I actually stayed and took a nap. I was still recovering from pneumonia, and although I was feeling a lot better, I knew we were going to do a Milky Way shot that night and wanted to make sure I took care of myself. Shocking even to me that I would make such a decision during a foliage trip but it was for the best.

I had set my alarm and was in a sound sleep when it went off. It took me a few seconds to get my bearings as to where I was and what time of the day it was. I then headed out again to photograph one of my favorite sugarhouses in West Burk. The sun was shining and was lighting up the maples crazy good. In fact, on day one, we stopped by this location in the fog and it didn't interest my friends at all, but when my friend saw it with the sunshine he was quite pleased and finally understood my attraction to this location.




From here, we went back to Darling Hill Road in East Burke. If you remember in a previous blog post, we went here on a foggy morning. This time is was blue sky and sunshine.


From here, we went to the South end of Lake Willoughby


Our last stop of the daylight was to photograph a farm. I had contacted the farmer the week before, and asked permission to photograph there. He was very kind and welcoming and allowed me and my friends access to the entire property. Kindness matters and photographers should always be courteous and ask permission instead of just trespassing on people's property.




From here we met some other photographer friends for dinner at The Burke Publick House in East Burke and had a wonderful dinner. After dinner, three of us went to photograph the Milky Way. Those photos will be published in the next blog post so stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Salty. I appreciate it. Fall foliage is my passion! :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Muffy. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  3. Impressive images. Makes me want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed. The Fall season is so short and fleeting. I wish it lasted longer, but perhaps that's why we appreciate it so much.

      Delete