New England Blogs

Monday, October 26, 2020

Route 9 Southern Vermont

 On October 2nd, I made another mask wearing day trip up North. This day I went up to explore the Rte 9 "Molly Stark Scenic Byway" in Southern VT. This stretch of road takes you literally across the state of Vermont, from Brattleboro to Bennington. 

On the ride to Vermont....this was taken as we were driving along Route 2 in Athol MA. The sun was rising behind us and the rain was beginning to Fall.

I knew that the weather in the area we were headed was forecasted for showers, rain, and low clouds in the morning, with partial clearing from West to East in the afternoon. I learned a long time ago to not let bad weather prohibit me from heading out with my camera. Low clouds and fog can add drama to the photos, and the color of the wet leaves really pop. 

Route 9 begins in the low lands of Brattleboro. That area was still mostly green, as expected on this fairly early date, but I knew once we got up into the highlands that we would find more color.

Our first stop was to the Hogback Mountain overlook in West Marlboro VT. It was raining when I shot this photo.


The road into Harriman Reservior in Wilmington:


Harriman Reservior:


From here we took Somerset Road in Searsburg and found this lovely row of Sugar Maples.


Another stop we made along this road.


Back onto Route 9 this is the color we saw in the highlands.



We took a different route to get back home and made several stops in Pownal and North Pownal. This area is just to the south of Bennington. As I've said before, the best way to find photo ops and beautiful scenes is to hit the back roads of VT! We found early color in this area and it looked like it had another week to a week and a half before this area would peak. But, I was very impressed with the early color that we saw.




My friend noticed this white horse as we were traveling along one of the many dirt roads in the area, so I backed up to check it out. Although this isn't technically the greatest photo ever, I love the story book feel of this one.


The skies were finally brightening, and here are the last few photos I took in the Pownal area.






It was another long day, but very fun day!
Stay safe and healthy my friends. xxoo

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!
    Ground fog photos during foliage season are magical. The white horse picture is magical as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Salty!! I LOVE fog as well. I’m so glad to hear your thoughts on the white horse image as well. I sometimes like an image but wonder if anyone else will like it too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always delightful to visit Vermont with Carol & her camera! I, too, love the fog/clouds in amongst the autumn foliage. I'll be looking forward to a winter "visit" in the sugarbush ~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Cynthia. I'll do my best to get a winter sugar bush photo too!

    ReplyDelete