New England Blogs

Friday, October 16, 2020

NEK of Vermont Foliage 9/25/2020

 Fall colors came early to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont this year. The reports were coming in of early colors, so I made a fairly last minute decision to head up just for the day on Friday September 25th. Here's a sample of the beautiful colors we found.


My home in Barton was not available to use at the moment, so this was just a day trip. The state of  VT also has some strict covid restrictions regarding people traveling from out of state. My friend and I spent 16 hours on this one day road trip. We wore our masks the entire time in the car (I wore an N95 mask) and we didn't go near any other people. 

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Our first stop of the morning was to Jobs Pond in Westmore......one of my favorite places. I have shot here every year for probably 20+ years in a row, and have gotten some beautiful photos, but I've never gotten the "perfect" shot that I am after. I wanted morning fog with the sun breaking through, and although I didn't get it again this year, it was still beautiful and my friend said it was worth the 16 hour day just to see this beautiful spot. Will try again next year for the shot I am envisioning.


Our next stop was to photograph nearby Newark Pond.


We then went just a bit down the road to Bald Hill Pond.

A two image panorama:



Bald Hill Pond Reflctions:


I switched lenses to the zoom lens for this one and photographed the hillside across the pond. The red colors were exceptional.


From here we headed to West Burke and stopped to photograph the Sugar house on Sugarhouse Road.



Lovely colors in the sugar bush.


From here we drove Victory Road from East Burke to Guildhall. It's a lovely forest road that I've driven several times before. I just forgot how LONG the drive is! The colors were spectacular along this road.




We stopped to photograph the Old Mill in Guildhall VT


From here, we went to scout a road that a fellow photographer told me about in Lunenburg VT that has views to the East of the White Mountains of NH. The road is called Bobbin Mill Road. This area has great potential on a clear late afternoon with the late day sun illuminating the White Mountains. It was an overcast, off and on drizzly afternoon on this particular day.


This was a great start to the 2020 foliage season. I made three other trips up North within a two week time period. Those photos will be featured in future blog posts.

Stay safe and well my friends. xxoo

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos.
    Driving with the window down helps circulate the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Salty. I agree with the windows down. We did that often.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol...good to see a few familiar locations (Jobs Pond, for instance), as well as plenty of new ones. And very good to hear that you were able to get up to the NEK and do so safely. I was in the UP of Michigan for about a week myself and had to overcome my own concerns about a way to do so safely/responsibly but was ultimately able to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to hear from you Kerry. I'm happy that you were able to pull off a safe trip to the UP. I visited your blog the other day and was happy to see you went back up there to one of my favorite places in the Fall. Your photos were gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete