New England Blogs

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Covid 19 and Photography

Hi Everyone,
 These are such troubled times and times of anxiety and uncertainty. If you are a regular follower of this blog, through the years, you know I have asthma and a few times a year I have severe asthmatic exacerbations which stop me in my tracks and sometimes takes 2 or more months for me to fully recover. I also was recently hospitalized for a different new health reason. After consulting with my primary care physician and my pulmonologist, it was agreed that I am a high risk patient if I contract Covid 19. As a result, and it literally breaks my heart, I am out of work from the hospital on a 2 month leave of absence to reduce my exposure. My future of returning is uncertain.These have been some pretty dark days for me, but I'm certainly not complaining and hope I'm not coming across that way. There are far too many people who are hurting right now and I would never minimize the hurt, devastation and pain they are going through.

Today a friend and fellow photography blogger posted a question on his bog; he was questioning if he should consider stopping his blog posts with all that is going on in the world. I replied that I always look forward to reading his blog, and it's therapeutic for us to have as much normalcy now as possible for both him to write the blogs, and his viewers to read and view them. This made me realize I should follow my own advice.
You can find his blog here. It's full of education and fantastic, inspirational landscape photography.
https://lightscapesphotography.wordpress.com/



Yesterday was the first day I went out with my camera in weeks. I went out solo of course to a local park. The only human contact I have is with Mr S and our son J who still lives at home with us. It felt good to be out in nature with my camera, but I also felt incredible guilt for doing this when I feel like
I have deserted my coworkers when they need me the most. I know in my head it's the right thing for me to do but my heart is telling me otherwise. The photo above is one I shot yesterday.

When I was recently hospitalized, my coworker and good friend Noelle gave me the following quote that she picked up in the hospital chapel. I am going to use the quote and the above photo together and use it to not only help me heal, but I hope it can give you some comfort as well.

" Your life is a sacred journey. And it is about change, growth, discovery, movement, transformation, continuously expanding your vision of what is possible, stretching your soul, learning to see clearly and deeply, listening to your intuition, taking courageous challenges at every step along the way.

You are on the path exactly where you are meant to be right now. And from here, you can only go forward, shaping your life story into a magnificent tale of triumph, of healing, of courage, of beauty, of wisdom, of power, of dignity, and of love."

This blog will go on. Most photos will probably be taken from my home and my backyard. But as I told my friend Kerry today, it's therapeutic to keep some normalcy both for myself and you the viewer. 
Please stay healthy and safe. xxoo





4 comments:

  1. I'm sad Smith😔. I can't imagine not seeing you for 2 months. Be safe❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's killing me KB. Please be safe. I pray for all of you daily.

      Delete
  2. Be safe Carol, and keep yourself healthy. Your post was beautifully written and I loved the quote with its encouraging words for all. In this time of upheaval in all of our lives it's important to have bloggers like yourself, and beautiful photographs. It's all a welcome break from the constant heartbreaking news of the Covid 19. Stay safe!

    Peggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peggie. I really appreciate hearing from you. Please stay say yourself. Big cyber hugs from me.

      Delete