New England Blogs

Monday, March 28, 2022

Windswept Farm Maple Syrup Barton Vermont

 I had myself a weekend!! :-) It was so good to get back up to Vermont. My soul desperately needed a Vermont fix. We went up to visit a few sugar makers that we are friends with, but also visited a few dear friends.

Maple Sugaring season is a rite of Spring for the Vermonters. It's also a time that I always look forward to every early Spring.

There will be a series of blog posts written about this weekend (yes, I finally have more material to share here on the blog), and I will start with the first sugar house we visited.


I became friendly with Adam, the farmer who owns a little piece of Heaven called Windswept Farm, several years ago. Adam gives me permission to photograph his property and you may remember seeing other photos taken here in previous blog posts.  Adam's property overlooks May Pond in Barton, which is one of my favorite places on Earth. In the above photo, you can see the steam coming from the cupola......a sure sign that the boil is underway. 

A different vantage point. Notice the gothic barn to the right. That's my favorite barn to photograph and you may recognize it here because I've posted several different photos of it over the years. You can also see the steam rising from the sugar house once again.


Inside the sugar house






After our visit and syrup purchase, we said goodbye to Adam and headed down below to May Pond to eat our lunch.



It was a great morning. Next stop is Monroes Sugarin'. Will post those tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your photos--wonderful, as always. I love watching sugaring and seeing the sugar houses. Since I doubt that I will be in the north country during sugaring this year, I appreciate traveling with you virtually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Muffy. I'm glad you can live virtually with my photos, as I always do with your photos when you travel!

      Delete
  2. So glad you went to Vermont to enjoy the sugaring season! Your photos show just how 'Windswept' the land is. I like the drop-down shutter in the cupola to release the steam. Must smell delicious. I like the Grade B syrup best on pancakes; more flavor and less sweetness than Grade A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. I like every grade. :-) Most of the syrup so far this year has been on the light side, but I sampled it all and loved it all! Yes, the smell in the sugarhouses is intoxicating!!!!

      Delete