New England Blogs

Friday, December 17, 2021

Powder Point Bridge Duxbury MA

Last Sunday I met up with people from my camera club for some sunset/night sky shooting. One of our members led a workshop on long exposure photography for those that wanted to learn. It was a beautiful evening, although a bit chilly there was very little wind and it was very comfortable just wearing a winter jacket. 

We wandered the beach on our own before sunset and I found this crab laying belly down on the sand. I picked him up and put him belly side up and propped him against a rock in the sand to use as a forefront interest in a shot. I set my focal point where I wanted it and opened up my aperture to get a sharp crab and a blurry background. I then took my camera off the tripod (gasp) LOL and set it on my sneaker and fired off a series of shots. A few came out off kilter and out of focus but there were a few I was happy with such as this one:


It was a beautiful pink sky which also added an extra special something to the shot.

I wandered over to the other side of the bridge as the sky was really beginning to darken, and liked the look of the tree in silhouette, as well as the person walking towards me on the beach.


The next photo was taken during the blue hour. Using a long exposure, you can see the headlights streaming across the bridge as a car was driving over it. You also can see some stars in the sky as well.


There was a 3/4 moon in the sky which helped to illuminate the bridge, but it also hindered the ability to get good star shots as the moon prohibited the sky from getting dark enough. If you look closely, you will be able to see some stars in the sky. The forefront sand was illuminated by a street light which was behind us and over my left shoulder.

This time of year the sunsets so early in the late afternoon that I was able to get home in time to catch the end of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game and watch Tom Brady and the Bus beat the Bills. I still love Tom and enjoy watching him play and was happy that they beat our AFC East division rival. The NE Patriots are in first place in the division. As much as I love Tom, my heart will always belong to the NE Patriots! :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, just love the crab in the sand with the colorful bands of sunset peeking through the pier under the bridge! Such a successful trio of images you offer for our enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Cynthia. I always appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful collection of a special place. Love the crab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed, Yes, it certainly is a special place and we are lucky to live nearby. I love the crab too! :-) Thank you very much.

      Delete