New England Blogs

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Swan from Weymouth Estuary

In my previous blog post, I told you about a swan that possibly needed some medical attention that I photographed at the Estuary in Weymouth MA.

The swan has an abnormally on it's left cheek. I wasn't sure if this was a "tufting" that was a natural occurring abnormally, or if it was possibly some type of infection that would require medical treatment.



I first contacted the New England Wildlife Center in Weymouth, which provides critical veterinary treatment to sick, injured, and orphaned wildlife. The kind woman I spoke with referred me to call The Animal Rescue League of Boston. I called and spoke with another amazing woman and texted her some of the photos I had taken of the swan. She felt this was something that should be looked into and said they wouldn't be able to get out to find it for several days. She in turn referred me to call the Weymouth Animal Control Officer, which I then called and left a voicemail with all of the information.

I texted the Animal rescue League for any updates on this swan this morning. She just returned my text and stated that the ACO of Weymouth has been searching for this swan but can not find it because the swans over there move up and down the waterway, and are not as easy to find as swans who live in one main contained body of water.


As one of my friends and fellow nature photographers pointed out.....this is not a good time of the year for the swans to be separated. IF this swan has a nesting partner it would be very difficult for the partner to be left alone on the nest with no support. So perhaps it's a good thing that this swan hasn't been located and brought in for a medical check and possible treatment. I'm hoping things work out well for this guy (I'm assuming it's a male) and I'm going to go out a few times this week to look for him myself and see how he's looking and behaving. I will let you know if I have any further updates.


1 comment:

  1. So glad you noticed & reported the growth on swan's neck & that a plan is in place to further evaluate its situation.

    ReplyDelete