New England Blogs

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Rainbows in Watkins Glen NY *TRAVEL TUESDAY*

Welcome to another Travel Tuesday post here on the blog....where images taken outside of New England are shown. Today I want to tell you about some pretty incredible rainbows that we saw on our visit to the Watkins Glen area of upstate NY in October. The weather forecast for this particular day was for afternoon scattered rain showers, and that forecast was quite accurate.

The first rain "shower" produced a spectacular rainbow. I was driving along Rte 14 and could see dramatic rain clouds up ahead. Suddenly to our right, a beautiful double rainbow appeared. I excitedly drove to a spot that would be a good place to take unobstructed photographs. The four of us jumped out of the car.....some jumped out before I even had put it in park I believe.

This is what we saw....


This beautiful double rainbow was such an amazing sight to see. We could also see the rain falling from the sky in the distance, and after several seconds, we could actually hear the rain coming, and then we could feel the rain hitting us, along with some hail pelting us. The four of us ran with our cameras in hand and dove into the car for protection. We were laughing so much....such a fun experience!!



When the rain and hail ended, the trees across from us were lit up nicely by the sun. 


Believe it or not, about an hour after this event, we were driving along in the exact same area, with another dark and angry sky ahead. I looked to my right and saw the most amazing rainbow I have ever seen in my life. The colors were so vivid. It looked fake....it was so close to us, and so vibrant. We all kept commenting that our photographs were going to look "fake, "photoshopped, "oversaturated" etc. I want to set the record strait......I applied NO saturation to the images. This is exactly how the rainbow looked to the naked eye. 


This is the same image, but I lightened up the background.


This was one of those "spiritual moments" for me that I have written about on previous blog posts. It's a moment I will never forget, and those incredible vibrant colors are something I will never ever forget. What a blessing to witness this!

Here is the sky, after the storm passed....


Oh what an afternoon that was! Oh....and please don't forget to double click on the photos for a larger view. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment