New England Blogs

Friday, November 16, 2018

Juvenile Black Skimmers

I got word of a pair of Black Skimmers hanging around at Nelson Beach in Plymouth. I'm not much of a birder, but I do enjoy photographing them......and quite honestly, up until the other day, I had never even heard of a Black Skimmer before. So naturally, I headed down to the beach to see them for myself.


These are some really cool birds! Their bill is knife thin and their lower mandible is longer than their upper. 



Their bill allows them to drag their lower bill through the water as it flies, allowing them  to hopefully catch a fish. I was happy to be able to see them "skimming".


It was a beautiful day......unlike today with 6 inches of snow on the ground. No snow photos for me yet. I'm in denial I think.






No comments:

Post a Comment