New England Blogs

Thursday, January 27, 2022

January happenings

 My sister asked me this morning, "why haven't you been posting on your blog"? My answer.......I don't know! I really don't know why. Maybe being lazy, maybe not inspired, maybe just taking a break, and probably all of those answers. 

Here's a photo dump of what I've been doing this month.........

The first time I went out shooting was on January 8th. It was the day after we got a few inches of snow here in SE MA. My friend invited me over to her house to shoot some backyard birds. It was a very chilly day, but got a few shots I am happy with......




The next time I went out shooting was three days later on January 11th, a super cold morning. The temperature was about 12 degrees Farenheit  so I went down to the ocean hoping to find sea smoke.

 Sea smoke is a weather phenomenon where fog is formed when very cold frigid air moves over warmer water. This particular morning there wasn't any sea smoke. It was disappointing to get up and out before sunrise on such a frigid morning with expectations to make some beautiful shots, but that's the way it goes sometimes. My motto is still "you can't get the good shots unless you put yourself out there and try". 

Here's the one and only shot I got that morning....


My persistence paid off four days later on January 15th. There was a huge ocean storm offshore which missed us, but it drew in frigid cold air from the North and created very rough seas with high waves. Once again, I headed out at sunrise and went to Scituate MA. There was some sea smoke, but there were also huge waves rolling in. Here are some of my favorite shots from that morning. On this first shot, I focused on the red buoy to give a sense of scale to how huge the waves were:


A few miles from this location....


Waves crashing over a sea wall....


That's it for my outdoor shooting. The only other thing I've done this past month is some home projects. One project I tackled was painting my staircase.

Before: (I could not stand that stair runner and it was time for the gold paint on the wall to go)


During .....the wall was painted the same color as my kitchen walls which were freshly painted two years ago. I also painted the trim and then ripped up the stair runner......



Stairs freshly painted to match the new trim color....


Completed project with new stair treads....




Nothing else exciting for me this month. Saturday we are expecting a blizzard here in SE MA. The latest report I just saw on the noon news was this: I live in the red area where 18-24 inches of snow is expected with blizzard conditions.


I'm not sure how I feel about this. If you live in SE MA, stay safe this weekend.
Will do better and post more often. Thanks for sticking with me.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from Carol! You posted these beautiful birds, Scituate Sea Swells and ambitious staircase renovation photos in time so I don't have to worry about your whereabouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia!!!! I never want to worry you. You are so sweet!!! I hope you stay safe and dry this weekend. I won't get out on Saturday.....will be too dangerous to drive, but hope the roads are clear to get out with my camera Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete