New England Blogs

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sea Smoke Scituate MA

Sea smoke is fog which forms when very cold air moves over warmer water. We were fortunate (some might say unfortunate) to experience this phenomenon on Sunday here in New England. I went out to shoot sunrise at the ocean, for the second annual tribute to my Mothers Life and Love on the anniversary of her death. Once again, my sister Kathleen braved the elements and accompanied me.

When I left my house at 5:30 AM the newscaster was reporting that the windchill in Boston was 35 below zero......and my car thermometer was reading 12 below zero for the actual outdoor temperature. As I was driving East, I could actually see the sea smoke in the air off in the distance. I knew it was going to be a special morning!


Scituate Light


Scituate Harbor


The beach looked like a foreign planet.


Finally the sun rose high enough over the thick cloud bank.



Minot's Beach


An island off the coast of Hull/Cohasset:


It was a magical morning. The fog was dancing and rolling, and as the sun was getting higher in the sky, the colors were changing rapidly. 

Happy Valentines Day Mom. I love you with all of my heart. xxooo






2 comments: