New England Blogs

Thursday, October 11, 2018

May Pond and Windswept Farm Surprise

As mentioned in the previous blog post, the sun was elusive during this year's foliage trip to VT. One particular morning, we were on location at May Pond in Barton for a sunrise shoot. The sky was looking fantastic with a partial cloud cover that was reflecting in the still water of the pond.


It was shaping up to be a beautiful morning.....or so I thought. Within moments of taking the shot shown above, the wind kicked up and the beautiful reflections were gone, and the sky filled in with clouds which put an end to the plans of photographing the sun rise. This was time to switch to plan B. As we were milling around down at the pond, I looked uphill and noticed there were a few rays of first light that were hitting the farmhouse, sugarhouse, and maple tree above. I quickly turned my attention and camera in that direction, and the light only lasted for about 20 seconds.

First light:


We then drove up to the above farm and shot the pond below.



Adam, the owner of the farm came out to greet us, and as we were chatting, the sky to the West of us was turning dramatic with beams of strong sunlight shining on the distant hillsides. This was my "Vermont moment" of 2018. It was beautiful to see and capture with my camera, and as I was photographing the scene, I knew that these were going to be my favorite images of this Fall. Occasionally landscape photography can be a spiritual experience for me, and this was certainly one of those times. I was humbled, thankful, and felt a deep connection with God and my parents who have gone before me.


What I thought was going to be a disappointing morning (photographically) turned into an amazing experience at my favorite place in the World. Life is good!







2 comments: