New England Blogs

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Early Arrival Herring, Oliver Mill Park Middleboro MA

I just love the Spring Season. Each year I look forward to the arrival of the Herring, the newborn fox kits, cygnets, ducklings, and chicks, and love to watch the Earth wake up from it's long Winter's nap. As noted in previous blog posts, the weather this Spring has been more Winter like than Spring like thus far, but thankfully we are starting to see some of the early signs of Spring here in Southern New England.

The other day (during a light dusting of snow of course!) I went down to Oliver Mills Park in Middleboro MA to look for any early arrival Herring.



 Typically the herring are visible in the water during the height of the run, but none were visible as of yet. However, there were a few gulls milling around in the water......and I knew all too well that they wouldn't have been in that freezing cold water if there wasn't a chance of them getting something to eat. So I waited........and waited.........At one point one of them dove in the water and came up with nothing....but this was a good sign for me that this was a missed opportunity and if I waited long enough one of them would come up with a catch. So I waited some more and then this happened!



It's still early in the season, but I'm pumped and looking forward to be spending a lot of time at the local Herring Runs within the next few weeks.

2 comments: