New England Blogs

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Scenes from the North Shore of Massachusetts

I typically spend most of my time shooting landscapes in the South Shore. I never spend any time in the North Shore. It's so funny because it's just the other side of Boston, but I just never go up there.  I know that a lot of people on the North Shore very rarely spend any time on the South Shore. You'd think it was 100 miles away! But both "shores" each have their own beauty and I was happy to spend time on the "other" shore last weekend.

My friend Diane and I were heading up to meet some camera club friends at Nubble Light in Maine to photograph the Christmas lights, but we decided to leave at 7 AM and make some stops along the North Shore on our way up.

Our first stop was looking for a Snowy Owl along the Lynn Causeway. There were reports of a Snowy Owl sighting there two days prior. We didn't see any Snowy's, but we did stop along the beach for an early morning chilly walk with our cameras.



The beach grasses are so beautiful.

The next stop was Manchester By The Sea. The skies really clouded up which unfortunately was the case for the rest of the day,


I liked the New England feel of the white steepled church, and was happy when the fishing boat came along to add to the whole coastal New England feel to the scene.


From here we headed to historic Gloucester. We didn't stop at the famous Gloucester Fisherman. The light was flat and it wouldn't have photographed well. We did stop at one of the smaller beaches that we were passing by. The tide was exceptionally high due to the full Super Moon.




Our next stop was to historic Rockport to photograph Motif Number One. I was happy to see her dressed up for Christmas.





Our next stop was to Annisquam Light in Gloucester but no photos were taken here. Let's just say that the wet rocks were very slippery and me and my camera survived. :-)

After a trip to Marshalls to buy new clothes, we made our way up to Plum Island in Newburyport where we saw the distant snowy owl that was previously posted. I also shot this Cormerant that was hanging out on a post in the marsh.


We made our destination to Nubble Light in York Maine in time for sunset, but due to the cloud cover there was no sunset light. Also, the full super moon rose directly behind the lighhouse that evening, but again, due to the cloud cover it just wasn't visible.


It was a day of adventures and laughs despite the cloudy skies and the fall in the ocean!! Photography is a dangerous sport! :-)



2 comments: