New England Blogs

Sunday, October 15, 2017

As I mentioned in my previous post, the foliage in New England has been very quirky and unpredictable this year. You will see the proression, and sometimes lack of progression of the colors in this post and the following several posts.

Oct 1, 2017........After we ate breakfast at the Cog Railway base station in Bretton Woods NH, we hit the road hoping to find some decent color. Here is a shot I took after leaving the base station. As you can see, there is some color in the lower elevation, but it is still mostly green, which is a little late for this date.


We then stopped along a dirt side road and wandered around looking for some color. There was nothing too special to photograph, but we liked the look of this post.


We then drove through Crawford Notch NH and were pretty disappointed in the lack of color. This is a small pond in Crawford Notch. Notice how the tree in the forefront has lost most of it's leaves, and the remainder of the leaves on the tree are dry and crunchy. Then look at the mostly green hillside.



We then headed ti Dixville Notch NH. The colors were really disappointing up there. There were patches of bare trees and past peak colors on some hillsides, and others still had a lot of green. There was no rhyme or reason.


The Balsams Resort is closed for renovations. If you notice in the photo, all of the mid levels reds are past peak and the trees are bare, but the rest of the trees are still green.


We then explored Dixville Flume and although I didn't have my tripod with me on day one......ugh.......I was able to hand hold some 5 second exposures that are acceptable. I had forgotten my tripod in the back of a camera club friends car on Thursday. I *thought* it was in the back of my car where it belongs. After tracking it down, another camera club friend picked it up at her house, brought it to another friends house, who brought it up to me in VT the very next day. It takes a village!!!!! (She was coming up anyway by the way)



More from day two's adventures coming in the next blog post.






1 comment:

  1. Wow. I spent a lot of time in Crawford Notch last fall (admittedly, it was 5-7 days later than your timing this year) and I'm shocked at how little color there was in your image from the Notch.

    I'm beginning to wonder if the color is particularly good anywhere in North America this autumn. I was in Colorado for the last week of September and first week of October and I heard constant muttering about how mediocre the color was this year (seemed pretty good to me, but I don't have a benchmark for comparison). It's going to be a terrible color season in central Indiana (I say this based on observation over the past week) and I'll bet it won't be much, if any, better in northeast Illinois when I return there (tomorrow). This reminds me of 2010 when a summertime drought covered pretty much the entire eastern half of the United States and the color was terrible just about everywhere.

    ReplyDelete