New England Blogs

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Buttonwood Farms Sunflower Festival

I took a camera club roadtrip yesterday afternoon to Buttonwood Farms in Griswold CT to photograph the sunflowers which they have every year as a fundraiser to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. http://www.sunflowersforwishes.com/
Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate for us, and after about only 20 minutes of shooting, the skies opened up and it poured. And it poured. And it poured......with thunder and lightning. After taking shelter in the car for about 45 minutes, we realized that the weather was not going to let up. And it didn't. The whole way home. The roads were flooded. My cousin Betty who was in the backseat was quoted as saying "I'm glad I didn't die there because I would not want my obituary to say that she died while taking pictures of sunflowers. " :-)
Honestly, it was that bad. We gave a good fight but Mother Nature certainly won this one. The best part of the day was the ice cream. All I can say about that is yum and you must go visit here for the ice cream alone. Amen.
Now, on to the photos.
Wish I had more time to explore this old stone barn. Just look at the character! The stone and weathered old wood, along with the meandering old stone wall, fit right in with the type of subjects I am drawn to photograph.
Nikon D90, 17-55 mm lens, ISO 320, 1/80, f9
This next image is my favorite sunflower image of the day. I wanted to get the "S" curve of the path to lead the eye of the viewer along into the image.

Nikon D90, 17-55 mm lens, ISO 320, 1/60, f8
WHERE'S WALDO????????
This was one of the last shots I took before the rain came down. The president of my camera club, Larry,  is in this image.
A. Can you find him?
B. Look at that sky!!!!

Nikon D90, 17-55 mm lens, ISO 320, 1/60, f9

3 comments:

  1. Okay- #1 How tall is Larry? Think I see him but not real sure
    #2- Wild sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I say Larry is bout 5'8"....but remember........those sunflowers are tall!
    Here's a link to my website. View the image as a slideshow and you will be able to see a full sized version......you can find Waldo, errrrrr, I mean Larry, much easier.
    http://carolsmith.zenfolio.com/p563612539/h14e94ae6#h14e94ae6
    2. Yeah, the sky was pretty scary. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sunflower lovers dream!
    Sorry you didn't get to stay :(

    ReplyDelete