New England Blogs

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blackbird Fly

Day 15/Year 2
I hit the wildlife jackpot this afternoon. This was after taking my mother to the Dr. She had a good appointment and she's doing well. Okay, back to the jackpot. After I drove the folks home, I stopped at Whitmans Pond in Weymouth to see if there was any action going on. Not too much. A swan was diving for food and there were lots of seagulls and crows. I'm getting kind of sick of the seagulls and I just posted a crow photo the other day. I needed more. So, I went across the street, behind the cemetery, to the back side of Whitmans Pond. This is where the jackpot was hit. It was so peaceful. There were a pair of swans, many Mallard Ducks, a few Canada Geese, and across the water from where I was, there were 2 White Egrets. I took many shots of the Egrets and waited patiently for one or both of them to take flight. And I waited. And I waited. Guess they weren't in the flying mood. So, I walked further along where there were lots of reeds. I knew the Red Winged Blackbirds like the reeds, and sure enough, I found a few. I waited for this one to take flight, and my persitence paid off. Granted, I could have used more reach than the 200 mm lens I have, but I was happy to catch it in flight nonetheless.
The Specs:
Nikon D90, 18-200 mm lens, ISO 200, 1/800, f5.6, -1/3 ev

No comments:

Post a Comment